Spotlighting: Thunder Rosa
For this month of September; our ‘Celebrity Fitness Spotlight’ is shining brightly on Professional Wrestler Thunder Rosa who I had the privilege of interviewing for our magazine.
Who Is Thunder Rosa: Thunder Rosa is a Mexican born professional wrestler who began her wrestling career in 2014. She has wrestled here in the USA and in Japan. always giving her adoring fans the thrills and excitement they came to see. At one point in her dynamic wrestling career, she was a Triple Champion; the holder of 3 Championship Belts.
Thunder Rosa is scheduled to bring her energy and excitement to different countries as her professional career continues to take her to new heights and new places across the globe.
Here is my ‘Celebrity Fitness interview’ with Thunder Rosa.
Trainer Z: What are some professional accomplishments you are most proud of?
- Thunder Rosa: Well, first of all, thanks for the opportunity to share this with you and your readers. I think as a young competitor in The wrestling business, being able to travel internationally has been an accomplishment. Several tours to Japan and Mexico and now a tour in Europe excites me more than anything. Being picked by one of the newest and very popular TV shows called Lucha Underground has also been a HUGE accomplishment. Also, last year, I was featured in Pro Wrestling Illustrated, an all wrestling magazine as the one to watch and later on the year I found out I was ranked #43 out of 50. Lastly, the one that I am the proudest of is that my husband and I started a female promotion named Sabotage Wrestling and we had been able to have 3 successful shows and are continuing to put women’s wrestling on the map in the west coast and in Texas. These are just some of the accomplishments I’m proud of in the third year in this business.
Trainer Z: What are some personal accomplishments you are most proud of?
- Thunder Rosa: Being the first in my family to finish college. In 2010 I obtained my Bachelors Degree from the University of California Berkeley. This is by far one of the biggest accomplishments in my life since I dreamed of getting a degree in higher education since I was a young girl. Also earning the first ever “So Cal Wrestler of the Year Award” in 2016 was an amazing accomplishment. This is the first time that an award of this caliber was given to a female competitor, and to be the first meant a lot. Lastly, competing in my hometown as the Main Event of the night was very magic as many of my family members and friends were there for me. To know that they are proud and happy for my success is an incredible feeling.
Trainer Z: Now let’s shift the focus to fitness. At what age or stage of your life did fitness become a major part of your lifestyle?
- Thunder Rosa: I was 26 years old when I devoted myself to fitness.
Trainer Z: Knowing that the time factor is a major deterring factor for many people, how is it that you are able to manage the demands of your professional wrestling career and still make time to incorporate fitness into your lifestyle?
- Thunder Rosa: Having a healthy body and looking in shape is crucial to be successful in this business. Before I started wrestling, I was your typical girl who thought she was in shape, but once I started training for wrestling, I noticed that things needed to change. It became my goal number one to get into the best shape of my life and to stay like that. With the years it has become a lot easier to manage, however, there are days where I don’t feel like working out, we are on the road and there are limited healthy options to eat and it becomes hard, but it is never impossible.
Trainer Z: I often tell people that fitness dedication starts with motivation. Who or what motivates you to workout?
- Thunder Rosa: What motivates me to workout is the fact that there is a younger gal trying to get the same spot that I want. Thus, I have to work twice as hard and stay focused to be able and ready for anything. Furthermore, I always say that I want to feel good in my own skin; when I take my clothes off, I want to be like: Damn girl, you look fabulous!
Trainer Z: One of the key elements for staying consistent with working out is accountability. Who keeps you accountable for working out consistently?
- Thunder Rosa: I have really good workout buddies and people who care about me and my success. My husband is always checking that I stay consistent. My tag team partner and some of my gym buddies are always texting me to send me words of encouragement to stay focused. We joke with each other all the time when we are tempted to break the diet and we want to eat sweets. I don’t know what I would do without them.
Trainer Z: Please share with us some details of your current/typical workout week?
- Thunder Rosa: I try to workout 4 to 5 times a week when possible. I do a mixture of high volume reps with calisthenics (for wrestling). I have cut my cardio because I’m trying to maintain weight. When I don’t have a gym available I do HIIT workouts for 45 minutes that have me dying at the end of my workout.
Trainer Z: What forms of cardio activity do you include in your workout routine?
- Thunder Rosa: BURPEEEESSS!!! HIIT is my favorite type of “cardio”! When I can, I love running outside but because of wrestling, my joints get really sore so I have to do other types of activities that are not bad for my knees and hips.
Trainer Z: Which body part/muscle is your favorite to work on?
- Thunder Rosa: Legs and Back! Always love being sore!
Trainer Z: Which body part/muscle is your least favorite to work on?
- Thunder Rosa: Chest is very challenging for me and I hate working it.
Trainer Z: What specific fitness goal are you currently focused on?
- Thunder Rosa: I want to maintain my weight and definitely develop more muscle. Wrestling is very taxing on my body so I have to make sure I have a healthy weight that allows me to do as much as possible
Trainer Z: What genres of music or current songs do you listen to while you’re working out?
- Thunder Rosa: Heavy Metal and Reggaeton!
Trainer Z: What foods do you generally consume within your typical fitness day?
- Thunder Rosa: Supplements, Grass Fed Whey Protein from Strike First, oatmeal, eggs, vegetables, chicken, tuna and more supplements.
Trainer Z: What nutritional supplements do you take?
- Thunder Rosa: Jesus, where do I start…. I’m sponsored by Strike First Nutrition so I’m lucky enough to try everything I need for my fitness needs. I take BCCA’s, Glutamine, Glucosamine, Pre workout (Sinister) Grass Fed Whey Protein, NightCrawler (sleeping aid), Vitamin D, Fish Oil, etc.
Trainer Z: What are 3 of your favorite foods?
- Thunder Rosa: Sweet Potatoes, Beans and Papaya.
Trainer Z: What are 3 of your least favorite foods?
- Thunder Rosa: Tofu. Most of the fast foods (they make me feel crappy), very sugary sweets.
Trainer Z: What words of encouragement can you share with people who struggle to consistently make fitness a part of their lifestyle?
- Thunder Rosa: Definitely you have to make an effort for yourself to keep a life style like this. It takes a lot of dedication and commitment to work on your fitness goals. Having a healthy lifestyle is not that hard, you have to change your mindset, love and embrace the pain and soreness that comes with it; once you do that, things become easier. You train yourself to love and care for your body because you could look better naked and live longer.
Trainer Z: What sports do you enjoy watching?
- Thunder Rosa: WRESTLING! Football, I love beisball too!
Trainer Z: What sports or outdoor activities do you enjoy playing?
- Thunder Rosa: I love playing tennis and beach volleyball!
Trainer Z: What indoor hobbies do you enjoy most?
- Thunder Rosa: Being a couch potato when I’m not wrestling, training, promoting.
30 Personality/Lifestyle Questions for Thunder Rosa:
The series of questions and answers listed below will give us an insightful and potentially humorous glimpse into Thunder Rosa’s personality and/or lifestyle. How well can you relate to her?
- Christmas or Thanksgiving?
- City or Country?
- Flowers or Plants?
- Paintings or Sculptures?
- Galaxy or iPhone?
- Talking or Texting?
- Board Games or Video Games?
– Board Games
- Card Games or Dominoes?
- Comedies or Horror Movies?
- Lace or Leather?
- Pants or Skirts?
- Candlelight Dinners or Picnics?
- Sauna or Steam Room?
- Baseball Caps or Headbands?
– Baseball Caps
- Cats or Dogs?
- Lions or Tigers?
- Tropical Birds or Tropical Fish?
– Tropical Fish
- Jogging or Swimming?
- Nature Hikes or Skiing?
– Nature Hikes
- Jet Skiing or Snowmobiling?
- Laser Tag or Wall Climbing?
– Wall Climbing
- Bowling or Shooting Pool?
- Candy or Gum?
- Beer or Wine?
- Coffee or Tea?
- Apples or Oranges?
- Cherries or Grapes?
- Brownies or Cookies?
- Pancakes or Waffles?
- Frozen Yogurt or Ice Cream?
– Ice Cream
Trainer Z: There you have it; she is Thunder Rosa. Thank you much Thunder Rosa for taking the time to share with us. You are greatly appreciated for all that you do that has a positive impact. We look forward to your upcoming events and to also ‘Spotlighting’ you again in the future.
Before you jet off to new and distant lands; please let the companies, the organizations and the people know how they can contact/connect with you.