Spotlighting: Arika Kane…
To close out a great year for our online magazine; for this month of December 2017 our ‘Interview Spotlight’ is shining on singer/songwriter Arika Kane who I had the great opportunity of interviewing for our magazine.
Who Is Arika Kane: Arika Kane is an American born singer, songwriter, producer, and visionary who in 2009 recorded her self-titled debut album which became an international hit. Arika is truly one of the music industry’s leading and best-selling recording artists as she has graced the world with chart-topping albums and songs in the USA as well as internationally; Arika’s music is also a staple within the Reality Television world as some of her songs like “Here With Me“, “4 The Lovers”, “Bcuz I Luv U” and “Make It” have all been featured on various VH1, BET, and MTV Programming. Also, take note that Arika’s latest release “Love Makes A Woman” which of course is available worldwide on all digital platforms is currently charting on the Top 10 of the U.S. sales charts; now how’s that for being awesomely consistent.
Here is my ‘Spotlight Interview’ with Arika Kane.
1. Trainer Z: Before we venture into the life and times of you ‘the person’ and you ‘the professional entertainer’; are there any events and/or projects you have coming up that we should all be on the lookout for?
- Arika Kane: I have recently released my single “Love Makes a Woman” on November 3rd, it is available on all digital platforms worldwide! You can purchase it from Itunes, Amazon, Google Play and it’s also available for streaming. I will also soon be working on my new album which will release sometime in the latter part of 2018.
2. Trainer Z: What are some personal accomplishments that you are most proud of?
- Arika Kane: Having the drive and staying dedicated to my career from when my journey started. Exploring other fields of business and the creative arts.
3. Trainer Z: What’s the best personal advice given to you, and by whom?
- Arika Kane: Never let your talents and gifts stay hidden under a rock, shine them brightly. My mom said this to me when I was young.
4. Trainer Z: Our magazine is all about POSITIVITY. I notice on Twitter and Instagram that you routinely post positive and uplifting content. What compels you to do so?
- Arika Kane: Yes! There is enough negativity already spreading throughout the internet and our world daily so I believe it is so important to put out positivity as much as possible. It’s the small things that can make a big difference in someone’s day or someone’s life.
5. Trainer Z: What positive message could you share with someone who’s struggling with self-esteem and/or social acceptance?
- Arika Kane: Never let others define who you are, you’re the one who decides that. There’s always going be people who have something to say about you, and if it’s negative it is their own insecurities speaking. Don’t allow other people’s insecurities to become your own. God loves you and wants you to love yourself.
6. Trainer Z: You have achieved great success domestically and internationally as a recording artist. What are some professional career accomplishments you are most proud of?
- Arika Kane: I’m most proud of charting on Billboard with my music multiple times, Topping the U.S. R&B charts over 10 times and I’m proud of writing and producing on all my music.
7. Trainer Z: What’s the best professional advice given to you, and by whom?
- Arika Kane: “That it’s important to expand your wings in more than one aspect of your career so that you can grow and grow your empire down the road. “ Said by Lou Humphrey CEO of BSE Recordings.
8. Trainer Z: What first attracted you to begin your career as a recording artist?
- Arika Kane: I grew up around singers and musicians in my family and friends of the family. From all different genres of original music.
9. Trainer Z: When, where, and what was the first song you remember singing before a crowd?
- Arika Kane: It was in 8th grade at a school talent show I sang a Mariah Carey song called Music Box in front of my peers. I was extremely nervous but proud that I did it. I’ll never forget that day.
10. Trainer Z: Why do you feel that being a recording artist is the ideal professional choice for you?
- Arika Kane: Music and creativity are what feeds my soul. I would rather spend my time feeding my soul than feeding a corporate machine doing something I don’t enjoy that drains my energy.
11. Trainer Z: What makes your musical style unique?
- Arika Kane: Originality and authenticity are what makes my style unique. There are so many recycled trends on the airwaves. I’ve never been into following trends, I like to express the language that my soul desires.
12. Trainer Z: What song or album have you recorded and released that you feel is your signature song or album, and why?
- Arika Kane: Great question! So many of my songs connect with who I am or have become. As a woman, my song “Liberated” speaks strongly on who I’ve become, what I’ve learned and my passion to empower other women. “Liberated” also has a dance remix which is just as powerful as the original song.
13. Trainer Z: Who are some of your biggest musical influences?
- Arika Kane: There are so many. I grew up listening to all sorts of nostalgia and watching old musicals starring Fred Astaire, Judy Garland & Julie Andrews, etc. I was exposed to all genres of music from my family growing up. I really started wanting to sing at the age of 8 during the peak of Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey & Celine Dion’s era. Those powerhouse singers sparked my fire so to speak. I love all music from the 90’s. Every genre from the 90’s was unique and original.
14. Trainer Z: What are your Top 5 favorite songs?
- Arika Kane:
– At Last- Etta James
– Ready For Love- India Arie
– I Have Nothing- Whitney Houston
– Heard It All Before- Sunshine Anderson
– Live From Your Heart – (By Me)
15. Trainer Z: Who are your Top 5 male recording artists?
- Arika Kane:
– Omar Wilson
– Kevin Ross
– Anderson Paak
– Dru Hill
16. Trainer Z: Who are your Top 5 female recording artists?
- Arika Kane:
– India Arie
– Lauryn Hill
– Mary J.Blige
– Alicia Keys
– Carrie Underwood
17. Trainer Z: Who are some notable singers or musicians you have performed with on stage?
- Arika Kane:
– Faith Evans
– Charlie Wilson
– Calvin Richardson
18. Trainer Z: Who are some notable recording artists or musicians you have recorded with?
- Arika Kane:
– Jean Grae
– Grand Puba
– Brian McKnight
19. Trainer Z: If not a recording artist, what do you think would be the ideal profession for you?
- Arika Kane: Anything that’s creative. I love all the creative arts! It’s a beautiful realm that expresses new possibilities to the world.
20. Trainer Z: What has been the most challenging aspect of being a recording artist?
- Arika Kane: Coordinating big events like performances, videos etc. Being a perfectionist really takes a toll and can get stressful.
21. Trainer Z: What musical instruments do you play?
- Arika Kane: Flute, Guitar and some piano.
22. Trainer Z: What hidden talents do you have?
- Arika Kane: Graphic arts, healing arts, reiki, I can say I’m pretty good at playing most sports.
23. Trainer Z: Focusing on your career aspirations. 5 – 10 years from now, where do you see yourself?
- Arika Kane: I see myself as a creative and businesswoman, Turning my creative ideas into businesses. Continuing to inspire the youth and women are important aspects of my music and I want to constantly do more to accomplish that so building an organization that finds ways to do that in a more worldly way is my ultimate goal.
24. Trainer Z: If you could change just one thing about the music industry, what would it be?
- Arika Kane: LOL, only one?! I would change so much. I guess if it’s only one it would be to make music an actual business again, With streaming and free music, it has gotten to the point where music is no longer valued. The artists, writers, and producers are not making money anymore and cannot build or thrive. The industry now focuses on image and celebrity gossip when there is so much money that could be made with the actual music. The focus needs to go back to the art, the music and it needs to be treated as valuable.
25. Trainer Z: What words of advice can you give to aspiring singers and recording artists?
- Arika Kane: Keep the integrity of your art no matter what. There are tons of money offers that will sound great but will strip away your creativity and change who you are to the world. Always create new strategies to get heard and get exposure. There are ways you can do it without selling out. It’s tricky but so worth it.
26. Trainer Z: Now let’s talk fitness. Please share with us some specific details about your current exercise/workout routine. What type of exercises, how many days per week do you exercise, and how long are your exercise/workout sessions?
- Arika Kane: I like to start with getting fresh air by going for a light jog outside, then it turns into a light walk. Then I usually come indoors and use some light weights and do some upper body and lower body exercises. I end it all with some stretching and some basic yoga which helps me to relax. I do this at least 3 times a week and they end up being about 30-45 min sessions.
27. Trainer Z: What specific fitness goal(s) are you currently focused on?
- Arika Kane: I don’t put too much stress on myself. I do what I can when I can. Life can really take you off course sometimes so you have to go with the flow. My overall goal is always to feel good, to feel strong, and feel balanced. Exercise is important and helps with your health, your heart and your overall emotional and spiritual life.
28. Trainer Z: What’s on your fitness playlist, what genres of music or current songs do you listen to while you’re exercising/working out?
- Arika Kane: I like soundtrack music. Movie music is so inspirational to me. Sometimes they are just instrumentals. No lyrics or vocals. Just inspiring instrumentation.
29. Trainer Z: What foods do you generally consume within your typical fitness day?
- Arika Kane: Fruit in the mornings always. At lunch I find myself to need more fuel so I usually will eat a sandwich. Turkey or tuna. At nighttime, usually chicken or fish with a veggie. Pasta once in a while….love it, it’s my weakness. Gotta fill your senses with what you love sometimes.
30. Trainer Z: What outdoor sports do you enjoy playing?
- Arika Kane: I have a brother so I grew up playing it all. Basketball, baseball, football, whiffle ball, dodgeball, volleyball. I also enjoy tennis and softball.
31. Trainer Z: What indoor hobbies do you enjoy most?
- Arika Kane: Movies, chess, crafts with all arts.
32. Trainer Z: What words of encouragement can you share with people who struggle to consistently make fitness a part of their lifestyle?
- Arika Kane: To not be so hard on yourself! Society’s expectations can be cruel and we need to stop setting the bar too high to the point where we can never live up to it. Coming up with a more reasonable regiment is easier to follow through with. And be flexible, if you have more energy to spare one day, do a little extra. If you don’t have enough energy, take it easy and rest up.
Personality and Lifestyle Questions for Arika Kane:
The series of questions and answers listed below will give us an insightful glimpse into Arika’s personality and/or lifestyle. How well can you relate to her???
- Extrovert or Introvert?
– Depends on the day, time and/or situation.
- Christmas or Thanksgiving?
- Easter or Halloween?
- Cars or SUV’s?
- City Lifestyle or Country Lifestyle?
– Country (I need nature and fresh to be happy).
- Camping Out or Hotels and Room Service?
– Camping Out
- African Safari or Tropical Retreat?
– Tropical Retreat
- Cats or Dogs?
– Dogs (though I have a new love for cats).
- Lions or Tigers?
– And Bears oh my! LIONS all the way,
- Tropical Birds or Tropical Fish?
– Tropical Fish
- Paintings or Sculptures?
- Coloring Book or Canvas Painting?
– Coloring Book! (much more fun).
- Indoor Rock/Wall Climbing or Indoor Skydiving?
– Indoor Skydiving
- Boot Camp Workout Class or Yoga Class?
– YOGA (Namaste)
- Pilates or Yoga?
- Elliptical or Treadmill?
– Treadmill (elliptical is no fun).
- Phone Talking or Texting?
– Texting (much easier).
- Phone Talking or Video Chatting?
– Phone; video is better for long distance relationships.
- Crossword Puzzles or Jigsaw Puzzles?
– Jigsaw (way more fun).
- Card Games or Dominoes?
– Card Games (more options).
- Board Games or Video Games?
– Video Games
- Checkers or Chess?
- Comedies or Horror Movies?
- Cartoons or Movies?
– I like both!
- Dramas or Sci-Fi Movies?
– Sci-Fi without a doubt.
- Live Plays or Movies?
– Live Plays are way more engaging.
- Comedy Club or Music Lounge?
– Music Lounge
- Shorts or Skirts?
- Baseball Caps or Headbands?
– Baseball Caps
- Shoes or Sneakers?
- Watching Basketball or Watching Football?
- Watching Baseball or Watching Hockey?
- Summer Olympics or Winter Olympics?
– Winter, Winter Olympics are magical.
- Sauna or Steam Room?
– Never knew the difference; LOL.
- Jacuzzi or Sauna?
- Jogging or Swimming?
- Bicycling or Rollerblading/Skating?
– Ice Skating!
- Nature Hikes or Skiing?
– Nature Hikes
- Jet Skiing or Snowmobiling?
– Jet Skiing
- Laser Tag or Paintball?
– Laser Tag
- Casino Tables or Slot Machines?
– Tables (blackjack)
- Golf Course or Miniature Golf?
– Golf Miniature Golf (more fun).
- Playing Tennis or Playing Ping Pong?
– Ping Pong!
- Bowling or Shooting Pool?
- Air Hockey or Foosball?
- Merry-Go-Rounds or Roller Coasters?
– Roller Coaster
- Bumper Cars or Peddle Boats?
– Pedal Boats
- Candlelight Dinners or Picnics?
- Pizza or Tacos?
– Pizza without a doubt.
- Crab Legs or Lobster Tails?
– I LOVE BOTH equally.
- Beer or Wine?
- Coffee or Tea?
- Chocolate Milk or Strawberry Milk?
– Strawberry Milk
- Candy or Gum?
- Potato Chips or Pretzels?
– Potato Chips
- Cold Cereal or Hot Cereal?
– Cold Cereal
- Cakes or Pies?
- Brownies or Cookies?
- Apples or Bananas?
- Cherries or Grapes?
- Blueberries or Strawberries?
- Mangos or Nectarines?
- Honey Dew Melon or Watermelon?
- Pancakes or Waffles?
- French Toast or Pancakes?
– French Toast
Trainer Z: There you have it; she is Arika Kane. Thank you, Arika, for taking the time to share with us; you and your music are greatly appreciated. We look forward to your upcoming projects and to also ‘Spotlighting’ you again in the future. Before you venture off to put your creative talents back into motion; how can people purchase and download your music?
- Arika Kane: Thank you so much, All of my music can be purchased on Amazon, Itunes and Google Play for download.
Trainer Z: Also, how can people, businesses, and organizations contact and/or connect with you?
- Arika Kane: You can connect with me on Twitter and Instagram @arikakane and also you can follow me on Facebook. For news and updates, you can also visit my website www.arikakane.com and you will find my contact information there as well for business and bookings etc.
- Click Here to Visit Arika’s Website at ArikaKane.com
- Click Here To Follow Arika On Twitter
- Click Here To Follow Arika On Instagram
- Click Here To Follow Arika On Facebook