Spotlighting: Kenyon Glover
Kicking off the start of a brand new year 2018 which also marks the 3rd year for our magazine; the ‘Interview Spotlight’ is shining on actor/entrepreneur Kenyon Glover who I had the enlightening opportunity to interview for our magazine.
Who Is Kenyon Glover: Kenyon Glover is one of three siblings. He is from Monroe, Louisiana. He has 2 younger brothers, Billy Ray Jones and Bobby Jones. His mother Barbara Glover raised Kenyon to be a very tough-minded individual. Kenyon was trained in several styles of Martial arts which includes Karate, Tae Kwon Do, and Kickboxing in which he holds all black belts in.
Kenyon started playing basketball at the age of seven and continued to play and tremendously improve which got him scholarship offers from major schools across the country. He chose the University of Maine in which he attended and then went on to graduate in 2004. He went on to play professional basketball internationally as well as the NBA for a couple of years until blowing out his knee which forced him to give up the thing that he loved the most. He then moved to Atlanta, Georgia and started modeling and eventually got into acting in 2006. Decided to move to Los Angeles, California in 2007 to pursue acting full-time and then started his own business which eventually branched out to form other businesses.
Kenyon now owns and operates KG Films Production, which is his own film/television production company which produces and creates high quality, entertaining, inspiring and enlightening content. Formed in 2015, KG Films has now produced over 10 film, TV, and internet projects. (Bio from IMDB)
Here is my ‘Spotlight Interview’ with Kenyon Glover.
1. Trainer Z: Before we venture into the life and times of you ‘the person’ and you ‘the professional’; is there any current news or projects you have coming up that you would like to inform the world about?
- Kenyon Glover: Wow, quite a few things I have going on and coming up that I’m working on. I have a film coming out in 2018, which will be on Netflix called, “Cheaper 2 Keep Her” (www.cheaper2keephermovie.com). We are now also in pre-production for 5 films and 2 TV Series that we will be Producing also in 2018. Currently also pitching my TV Series “UNDERCOVER” to major networks. Hopefully, we will be getting that on the air soon. I Produced, Directed, and Star in the series. Also just launched my own brand of wine and champagne called K.Glover Wine & Champagne (www.kgloverwine.com) which will be in stores across the globe in 2018. We also just recently launched our fitness apparel line, KGX Active Wear(www.kgxactivewear.com) which will also be coming to stores nationwide soon. So there you have it, we have so much going on, it’s ridiculous.
2. Trainer Z: We’ll definitely keep watch on your forthcoming projects. Can you tell us some of the personal accomplishments you are most proud of?
- Kenyon Glover: I actually have accomplished a lot of different things that I am very proud of. I graduated at the top of my class in High school with a 3.8 GPA. Went on to college and received my Bachelors Degree in Business Management and also finished college with a 3.3 GPA. So those have been, to me, my proudest of moments because growing up, my parents instilled in me that education was the most important achievement that anyone could achieve. And I always held on to that mindset. I mean of course I also made it to the NBA, I started my own businesses, I’m an acclaimed working Actor, Model, and Filmmaker. But I couldn’t have achieved any of that if my parents didn’t instill in me hard work, determination and a never give up attitude which has carried me and is still carrying me to where I am now and where I’m going.
3. Trainer Z: What’s the best personal advice given to you?
- Kenyon Glover: The best advice that I have been given is to be STRONGER THAN YOUR STRUGGLE. We are all going to go thru hardships and struggles, but it’s up to you to know that you are way stronger than you can ever imagine and you will and can persevere thru it all.
4. Trainer Z: What is the one word you would use to define yourself, and why?
- Kenyon Glover: RELENTLESS… I go after my goals and my dreams with the mindset that I can’t be stopped. No matter what you throw at me, try to hate on me, destroy me, condemn me, persecute me, I’m going to keep going with the most relentless attitude because I’m absolutely focused on being what God has created me to be. Which is absolute GREATNESS!
5. Trainer Z: If you were to write a book or have a movie made about your life, what would be the title?
- Kenyon Glover: Its funny that you asked that because I have already written a book and have done a short film about my life called, “CHASING A DREAM”.
6. Trainer Z: If you had the authority to change 3 things within the world, what would they be?
- Kenyon Glover: Racism, Hate, Bullying.
7. Trainer Z: Our magazine is all about POSITIVITY. I notice on Twitter and Instagram that you often post some positive and motivating content. What compels you to do so?
- Kenyon Glover: Listen, I have gone thru years of depression, anxiety, hardships, low self-esteem, and have attempted suicide on 2 different occasions, so I’m all too familiar with feeling down and out. And a lot of times, people just need to be encouraged, motivated, heard, inspired, hugged and so I make it a habit to just make sure that I keep putting positive and motivational energy out there because you just never know who may need to hear it. I have gotten messages from so many people telling me that they were on the brink of suicide until they read my message that day. So I make sure I keep putting it out there as much as I can. People are hurting, they may have it going for them on the outside, you just never know what may be eating them up on the inside or what they may be going thru. Its important for each one of us to try to put out positive energy and just show love to each other. It doesn’t seem to be that hard but people make it hard and I just don’t understand why.
8. Trainer Z: What positive message could you share with someone who’s struggling with low self-esteem, or social acceptance?
- Kenyon Glover: You were not born to fit in with society’s standards, so don’t try to fit in. You were absolutely born to stand out. God created you to be unique, he created you for a specific purpose that only YOU will understand so there is no reason to ever feel low about yourself or worry about being accepted. Be proud of the person that God made you to be. Just make sure you surround yourself with positive and uplifting people that will always be real with you and love you for who you are.
9. Trainer Z: Awesome words of wisdom! Now tell us, what are some professional career accomplishments you are most proud of?
- Kenyon Glover: I’m proud to have started my own company and the way that my company has expanded and keeps expanding. We have created a movement, and people are starting to catch on to the movement and want to be a part of whatever I have going on or coming up.
10. Trainer Z: What’s the best professional advice given to you?
- Kenyon Glover: To never get comfortable and satisfied because the world is always evolving and changing. Only because you may have a popular product today, someone tomorrow may come out with something even better.. So keep growing, keep learning and never settle.
11. Trainer Z: What were some of the determining factors for you in deciding to become an entrepreneur?
- Kenyon Glover: LOL… Not working for someone else. I can’t take someone telling me what to do, when to do it, how to do it, being on someone’s clock, and watching over my back. I’m just not built for that. Not built for people telling me what to do basically.
12. Trainer Z: Man; I can definitely relate to that; that’s partly why I resigned from my last job 15 years ago. Can you give us an outline of your typical entrepreneurial day?
- Kenyon Glover: Wow! I wake up, read my word, pray, meditate and then start checking my emails, checking my social media for any inquiries, any orders, any requests, etc. Then I start responding, processing orders and making sure that I reach everyone back in a prompt time frame. Then start putting together my marketing and promoting campaigns for today and just creating that brand awareness for the world to see and see that my company is always going to be here and we not going nowhere. Then we concentrate on our film/tv projects (casting, location scouting, script revisions, etc) and work out our schedules for filming and production. I have to oversee every aspect of my company to make sure everything is up to par in every area.
13. Trainer Z: What has been some of the most challenging aspects of being an entrepreneur?
- Kenyon Glover: Being a black business owner… that says enough in itself. No explanation needed I’m sure.
14. Trainer Z: How do you overcome the moments of doubt that often affect and hinder most entrepreneurs?
- Kenyon Glover: Just keep going, keep being creative, keep inspiring, not getting discouraged and you have to have a mentor. You have to have someone on your team that has already achieved where you are trying to get to. You have to have someone that knows how to get there because they have gotten there and they don’t mind sharing their secrets and advice.
15. Trainer Z: In your opinion, what are 3 of the most important elements to becoming a successful entrepreneur?
- Kenyon Glover: Prayer… Believing in yourself… Perseverance…
16. Trainer Z: What is the purposeful mission of your company’s brand(s)?
- Kenyon Glover: To bring to the world amazing experiences in Fashion, Film, and Fitness and now also Elegant wine and champagne.
17. Trainer Z: Can you tell us about some of the diverse products and/or services that your company offers?
- Kenyon Glover: We have Fitness consulting, Fitness supplements, Wine/champagne, Fitness apparel, Model coaching, Fashion event planning, Fitness training, Film/TV Production.
18. Trainer Z: What is your competitive advantage? Why should consumers be inclined to purchase your products and/or services?
- Kenyon Glover: Our competitive advantage is that we offer so many different products and services all under one roof. Our products and services are unique, classy, sophisticated and steadily growing, evolving and getting better.
19. Trainer Z: How do you market and promote your products and/or services? What marketing method has produced the greatest success?
- Kenyon Glover: Thru social media, word of mouth, flyers distribution, billboards, website, cross promotions, radio ads, commercials, youtube. And social media has been our greatest tool thus far.
20. Trainer Z: How would you define entrepreneurial success for yourself and/or your company?
- Kenyon Glover: I would say once we are officially a part of the US Stock market and are selling major shares, then I would say we have reached major success.
21. Trainer Z: How far are you willing to go to be the ultimate success story that you can be?
- Kenyon Glover: Willing to keep going until I can’t go anymore. Even though success will not define me, but I’m working to build and leave a legacy behind. I want my company to be a force to be reckoned with and it can be something that my kids will take over once I’m gone and they will keep it going.
22. Trainer Z: Focusing on your entrepreneurial aspirations, 5 – 10 years from now, where do you see yourself and/or your company?
- Kenyon Glover: At the top of the food chain. A billion dollar company… That’s the ultimate goal, is to be a billion-dollar business. It won’t happen overnight, but I’m not stopping until I reach a $1 Billion in gross profits and we still not stopping there.
23. Trainer Z: That’s what’s up… What words of advice can you give to aspiring entrepreneurs?
- Kenyon Glover: You have to find out what you love to do. And then research the different trends, research your competition and find out what’s working for them and whats not working for them. Read up on your choice, study it, live it, breath it and devote your time in making sure that this is exactly what you want to do. You have to wake up early, go to bed late. Stay the course. Stay committed to it. Don’t let anybody shake your focus… You are going to experience haters, doubters, non-believers, but block them out, and keep going. Become unbreakable.
24. Trainer Z: How can consumers learn more about and purchase your products to support the causes and initiatives?
25. Trainer Z: Now let’s talk fitness. At what age or stage of your life did fitness become a part of your lifestyle?
- Kenyon Glover: I was 7yrs old when I started playing basketball and training in martial arts and working out.
26. Trainer Z: Please share with us some specific details about your current workout routine. What type of exercises, how many days per week do you exercise, and how long are your exercise/workout sessions?
- Kenyon Glover: I normally work out about 3-4 days a week. I work different parts of my body on different days. Mondays may be chest day, Tuesdays are my arm days, Wednesdays are back and shoulders, Thursdays are legs and cardio and then I normally rest Fri-Sun. My workouts are quick, only like 45mins-1hr. People think you have to work out for 2 and 3 hours… Not true, as long as you get in the gym, you are focused and not trying to conversate and BS around, it goes by quick.
27. Trainer Z: What specific fitness goal(s) are you currently focused on?
- Kenyon Glover: I’m basically just trying to stay toned and lean.
28. Trainer Z: What on your fitness playlist? What genres of music or current songs do you listen to while you’re working out?
- Kenyon Glover: Have to be Rap/Hip-Hop music. Music that has a very uptempo type beat to it.
29. Trainer Z: What foods do you generally consume within your typical fitness day?
- Kenyon Glover: A lot of protein. I eat a lot of fruit and vegetables, and foods high in carbs.
30. Trainer Z: What nutritional supplements do you take, if any?
- Kenyon Glover: I actually take my own supplements that my company created. My company has a Fat burner and a Pre-workout formula(or basically like a protein shake).
31. Trainer Z: I often tell people that one of the key elements for staying consistent with working out is accountability. Who keeps you accountable for working out routinely?
- Kenyon Glover: I have to keep myself accountable. I’ve really never had a workout partner.
32. Trainer Z: What words of encouragement can you share with people who struggle to consistently make fitness a part of their lifestyle?
- Kenyon Glover: You have to stay dedicated. You have to make up your mind. Make a choice to commit to it..
33. Trainer Z: What outdoor hobbies and/or sports do you enjoy most?
- Kenyon Glover: I enjoy hiking, running on the beach, walking my dog, jogging.
34. Trainer Z: What indoor hobbies and/or sports do you enjoy most?
- Kenyon Glover: Basketball, boxing, martial arts, weightlifting.
Personality and Lifestyle Questions for Kenyon Glover:
The series of questions and answers listed below will give us an insightful glimpse into Kenyon’s personality and/or lifestyle. How well can you relate to him???
- Extrovert or Introvert?
- Wearing Shoes or Wearing Sneakers?
- Wearing Professional/Business Attire or Wearing Casual/Sporty Attire?
– Business attire; I’m a boss! LOL.. Have to be on top of my game all day, every day.
- Christmas or Thanksgiving?
– Thanksgiving; only time of the year when I stop being all healthy and pig out.
- Easter or Halloween?
- Cars or SUV’s?
– SUVs; I’m a big dude! LOL. Cars are too small for me.
- City Lifestyle or Country Lifestyle?
– I’m a country boy, so definitely country lifestyle.
- Camping Out or Hotels?
– Hotel room service; I’m spoiled. LOL.
- African Safari or Tropical Retreat?
– Tropica Retreat
- Cats or Dogs?
– Dogs because I’m allergic to cats.
- Lions or Tigers?
- Boot Camp Workout Class or Yoga Class?
– Bootcamp workout; I teach it.
- Phone Talking or Texting?
- Card Games or Dominoes?
- Comedies or Horror Movies?
- Cartoons or Movies?
- Dramas or Sci-Fi Movies?
- Live Plays or Movies?
- Comedy Club or Music Lounge?
– Comedy; I love to laugh.
- Watching Basketball or Watching Football?
- Golf Course or Miniature Golf?
– Golf Course
- Pizza or Tacos?
- Beer or Wine?
– Wine; I have my own.
- Coffee or Tea?
- Candy or Gum?
- Cold Cereal or Hot Cereal?
– Cold Cereal
- Cherries or Grapes?
- Pancakes or Waffles?
– Waffles; those are all we buy in my house.
Trainer Z: There you have it; he is Kenyon Glover. Thank you, Kenyon, for taking the time to share with us and for jump-starting a new year for our magazine; you are greatly appreciated. We look forward to your upcoming projects and to also ‘Spotlighting’ you again in the near future. Before you jet off; please let everyone know how they can contact/connect with you.
- Kenyon Glover: They can check out my Official personal website at www.kenyonglover.net or www.kgxperience.com. Also, they can find me on IG @kenyondglover, TW @kenyonglover and FB: Kenyon Glover..
- Click Here To Follow Kenyon On Twitter
- Click Here To Follow Kenyon On Instagram
- Click Here To Follow Kenyon On Facebook