Spotlighting: Angel Sessions
For this month of February 2018; our ‘Interview Spotlight’ is shining on singer/songwriter Angel Sessions who I had the great opportunity of interviewing for our magazine.
Who Is Angel Sessions: An American singer and songwriter; Angel states “I’ve always had a love and passion for singing ever since I was a little girl. Touching the lives of others through my music inspires me to continue my journey for God’s glory until the end”. The road to success hasn’t been easy, but after 20+ years in the music industry, releasing 13 worldwide albums, and receiving numerous awards and nominations; Angel Sessions has proven she is in it to stay.
Here is my ‘Spotlight Interview’ with Angel Sessions.
1 . Trainer Z: Before we venture into the life and times of you ‘the person’ and you ‘the professional entertainer’; are there any events and/or projects you have coming up that we should all be on the lookout for?
- Angel Sessions: Yes! Currently, my company, Atlas Elite Entertainment launched our first annual Atlas Elite Entertainment Music Awards which started January 1st, 2018 for submission process through June 30th, 2018. In July, our award show will be online for all nominees. We are very excited. The genres are Pop. Latin, R&B, Christian/Gospel, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Country Reggae, and Rock. I’m working on new music for 2018 and slated soon, Altas Elite Entertainment will be working on our first film that will be in theaters worldwide soon.
2. Trainer Z: Those are some awesome events you have unfolding; we’ll definitely be on the lookout for them. Now, what are some personal accomplishments you are most proud of?
- Angel Sessions: Some of my personal accomplishments are my 10x nominations for my music I’ve been blessed to have been nominated for, and this year 2018, I’ve been nominated again for the Northern California Music Entertainers Awards for Best Northern Female Gospel Artist. I’ve also won 4 awards for my song “Don’t Let Go” in 2016 and 2017. I’m very proud of that because my music has really taken off and being heard worldwide. I’m also proud of starting my own label/film company with my partners, Rodney Crews, and Demetrius Guidry. We are so excited about so many great things slated for 2018 that we will be doing which we will be super busy but busy is great. So I’m very proud and thankful to God for that.
3. Trainer Z: What’s the best personal advice given to you, and by whom?
- Angel Sessions: The best personal advice given to me was; never let anyone change you from who you are and keep going and don’t stop, you will get there if you keep pushing and work at it and don’t give up. That was from my friend, William Hart, lead singer and songwriter of all those great hit songs by The Delfonics.
4. Trainer Z: What’s the 1 word you would use to define yourself, and why?
- Angel Sessions: Humble. I don’t let fame take me away from my humble beginnings and I always try to stay grounded and thank God for all of what He’s doing in my life.
5. Trainer Z: If you had the authority to change 3 things within the world, what would they be?
- Angel Sessions: That’s a great question; LOL! Let’s see; if I could change 3 things within the world, I would change, that there would be more unity in the world. More Love in the world the way everyone should love one another, and that each of us helps one another without always those who try to be jealous and keep the other person down. Those would be the 3 things I would change.
6. Trainer Z: Our magazine is all about POSITIVITY. I notice on Twitter and Instagram that you tend to post positive and uplifting content; what compels you to do so?
- Angel Sessions: I love posting positive content to encourage many people around the world to be uplifted. It’s such a sad world today for the most part but there are some great things also in the world and that is the love of people who try to help other people by word of encouragement or whatever that may be, it can help lift some one’s spirit. I try to be that person for someone out there who needs that.
7. Trainer Z: What positive message could you share with someone who’s struggling with self-esteem and/or social acceptance?
- Angel Sessions: I would want them to know that you are beautiful and I don’t mean in looks, but by the positive things they may say, or do. Never to let someone else steal your joy or put you down just to bring themselves up or feel good about themselves. To try also to stay away from those around you who mean you no good, and that God created us all, we are no better than the other person. We need to not feel sorry for ourselves, we need to make a difference in our own lives, I know that I can.
8. Trainer Z: What are some professional accomplishments you are most proud of?
- Angel Sessions: Wow; LOL! I have so many. I’m proud that I’ve worked and recorded with many of the legends like the late Maurice White of Earth Wind and Fire, Mary Wilson (Supremes), Freda Payne, The Dells, The Dramatics, Lenny Williams, The Delfonics, Ali Woodson (The Temptations) Brenda Holloway, Andre Cymone (former group of Prince and the Revolution). I’ve performed 4x at the Grammy’s pre-party in Los Angeles, CA with other acts such as James Brown; The Godfather of Soul, Teena Marie, and more. 13 worldwide albums released. Grammy voting member, 4x gospel artist winner. #1 single on the US DRT National charts for 11 weeks straight with the single “Get Up” in 2014. Worked and acted with the legend Fred Williamson in the movie ‘Down N Dirty’. Toured in Guam.
9. Trainer Z: Now that’s an impressive professional resume. What’s the best professional advice given to you, and by whom?
- Angel Sessions: The best professional advice given to me was by Rodney Crews and Demetrius Guidry; Rodney said, “Angel, you have great music out there, the world needs, keep doing great music and don’t let the haters stop you. Demetrius told me to stay focused and keep my eyes on Christ.
10. Trainer Z: What first attracted you to embark on a career as a singer?
- Angel Sessions: I knew I wanted to be a professional singer when I was 11 years old; that’s the age I started writing my own songs. I would entertain my mom’s friends when she would have company and that helped me to not be so shy. My mom always encouraged me and I had a deep passion to sing for Christ and I wanted to be a singer. I started seriously in the early 1990’s.
11. Trainer Z: When, where, and what was the first song you remember singing before a crowd?
- Angel Sessions: I remember when I was in the first grade, I was in a talent show and the song I sang was called “Our Love” by Natalie Cole; I came in third place and it felt wonderful remembering the crowd cheering me on.
12. Trainer Z: Why do you feel that being a singer and songwriter is the ideal professional choice for you?
- Angel Sessions: It’s the ideal choice for me because God has given me a talent and the ability to sing and write. I love what I do, I love making people happy and my gift of song does that.
13. Trainer Z: What song or album have you recorded and released that you feel is your signature song or album?
- Angel Sessions: Wow; LOL! I have 13 albums, so that’s so hard to answer but I will give it my best… I will have to say, “Songs of Comfort”; It not only grew my brand but my fan base. That album did well for me because it was on the US Amazon charts 14 straight weeks top 100 peaking at #2. “Don’t Let Go” is one of my singles on that album that won 4 awards for the Best Contemporary Gospel Song.
14. Trainer Z: Who are some of your biggest musical influences?
- Angel Sessions: Mariah Carey who I met once and she’s so sweet, Whitney Houston, Teena Marie, The Clark Sisters and Yolanda Adams.
15. Trainer Z: Teena Marie is definitely one of my favorites. What are your Top 5 favorite songs?
- Angel Sessions: “Saving All My Love For You” by Whitney Houston, “There’s Got to Be a Way” by Mariah Carey. “In Thou Holy Will” by the Clark Sisters, “Feed My Sheep” by Angel Sessions (me), “Love Brought Me To You” by Shardella Sessions (my daughter).
16. Trainer Z: Who are your Top 5 male recording artists?
- Angel Sessions: Usher, Fred Hammond, Chris Brown, Michael Jackson, and Phil Collins.
17. Trainer Z: Who are your Top 5 female recording artists?
- Angel Sessions: Shardella Sessions (I’m a Big fan of my daughter’s music; LOL) Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Yolanda Adams, and Faith Evans.
18. Trainer Z: Great to know the creative talent runs in the family. Who are some notable singers or musicians you have performed with on stage?
- Angel Sessions: I performed with Mary Wilson as a Supreme, The Delfonics, The Dramatics, Lenny Williams, The Dells, Brenda Hollway, Dennis Edwards (The Temptations) Ali Woodson, and Freda Payne.
19. Trainer Z: Who are some notable recording artists or musicians you have recorded with?
- Angel Sessions: Freda Payne, Lenny Williams, the late Maurice White of Earth Wind and Fire, Brenda Holloway, The Dells, The Dramatics, The Delfonics, the late Ali Woodson of The Temptations, The Stylistics.
20. Trainer Z: That’s an impressive list of names. If not a singer/recording artist, what do you think would be the ideal profession for you?
- Angel Sessions: I don’t know because I love what I do and I’m in my ideal profession.
21. Trainer Z: What has been the most challenging aspect of being a singer/recording artist?
- Angel Sessions: Being in the music industry for as long as I have, the music industry continues to evolve and change. I have to keep up and stay in the current.
22. Trainer Z: Do you play any musical instruments?
- Angel Sessions: I don’t play any musical instruments; my voice is my musical instrument.
23. Trainer Z: Yes indeed it is. What hidden talents do you have?
- Angel Sessions: I’m a great dancer! Dancing is my second passion.
24. Trainer Z: Focusing on your career aspirations; 5 – 10 years from now, where do you see yourself?
- Angel Sessions: After 20 years of my career, I plan to keep doing what I’m doing.
25. Trainer Z: If you could change just 1 thing about the music industry, what would it be?
- Angel Sessions: I would change that there will be no mainstream artist here, indie artist there, I would combine them together; All Artists are Artists.
26. Trainer Z: What words of advice can you give to aspiring singers?
- Angel Sessions: I would encourage all singers and songwriters to keep doing what you’re doing. No matter how long it takes, or hard it may seem, you will never make it if you stop. Don’t give up and throw in the towels, keep going.
27. Trainer Z: Great advice for us all. Now let’s shift focus and talk fitness. What current exercise activity do you engage in on a regular basis?
- Angel Sessions: I walk 5 days a week about 2 hours a day.
28. Trainer Z: What specific fitness goal(s) are you currently focused on?
- Angel Sessions: To maintain and tone.
29. Trainer Z: What’s on your fitness playlist, what genres of music or current songs do you listen to while you’re exercising?
- Angel Sessions: I love the outside noise; LOL, so I don’t listen to music when I’m walking. I love to hear the birds or just mellow out and think while I walk.
30. Trainer Z: What foods do you generally consume within your typical fitness day?
- Angel Sessions: I love my spinach, eggs, water.
31. Trainer Z: What words of encouragement can you share with people who struggle to consistently make fitness a part of their lifestyle?
- Angel Sessions: Stay healthy for your heart. Walk or find something that keeps you moving your body daily and never sleep on your food.
32. Trainer Z: What outdoor sports do you enjoy playing?
- Angel Sessions: I don’t play any sports other than walk; LOL! I can walk 5 hours sometimes.
Personality and Lifestyle Questions for Angel Sessions:
The series of questions and answers listed below will give us an insightful glimpse into Angel’s personality and/or lifestyle. How well can you relate to her?
- Extrovert or Introvert?
- Audio Books or Reading Books?
– Reading Books. My favorite book is the bible.
- Wearing Shoes or Wearing Sneakers?
– Wearing Sneakers; LOL! I love to walk a lot.
- Dressing Up or Dressing Down?
– Dressing down because I love to be comfortable.
- Christmas or Thanksgiving?
– Christmas because I love to give gifts to others.
- Easter or Halloween?
- Cars or SUV’s?
- Fall Time or Spring Time?
– Spring Time
- City Lifestyle or Country Lifestyle?
– City Lifestyle
- Camping Out or Hotels and Room Service?
– Hotels and Room Services
- African Safari or Tropical Retreat?
– Tropical Retreat
- Cats or Dogs?
- Lions or Tigers?
- Elephants or Giraffes?
- Tropical Birds or Tropical Fish?
– Tropical Birds
- Flowers or Plants?
- Paintings or Sculptures?
- Coloring Book or Canvas Painting?
– Coloring Book
- Indoor Rock/Wall Climbing or Indoor Skydiving?
– Indoor Rock/Wall Climbing
- Boot Camp Workout Class or Yoga Class?
– Workout Class
- Elliptical or Treadmill?
- Phone Talking or Texting?
– Phone talking
- Phone Talking or Video Chatting?
– Phone Talking
- Crossword Puzzles or Jigsaw Puzzles?
– Jigsaw Puzzles
- Card Games or Dominoes?
- Board Games or Video Games?
– Board Games
- Checkers or Chess?
- Comedies or Horror Movies?
- Cartoons or Movies?
- Dramas or Sci-Fi Movies?
- Live Plays or Movies?
- Comedy Club or Music Lounge?
– Music Lounge
- Watching Basketball or Watching Football?
– Watching Basketball
- Summer Olympics or Winter Olympics?
– Summer Olympics
- Jogging or Swimming?
- Bicycling or Rollerblading/Skating?
– Roller Skating
- Nature Hikes or Skiing?
– Nature Hikes
- Laser Tag or Paintball?
- Casino Tables or Slot Machines?
– Slot Machines
- Playing Tennis or Playing Ping Pong?
– Playing Tennis
- Bowling or Shooting Pool?
- Merry-Go-Rounds or Roller Coasters?
– Neither ( I have Vertigo).
- Bumper Cars or Peddle Boats?
– Bumper Cars
- Candlelight Dinners or Picnics?
– Candlelight Dinners
- Pizza or Tacos?
- Crab Legs or Lobster Tails?
– Crab Legs
- Beer or Wine?
– Neither, I don’t drink.
- Coffee or Tea?
- Chocolate Milk or Strawberry Milk?
– Strawberry Milk
- Candy or Gum?
- Potato Chips or Pretzels?
– Potato Chips
- Cold Cereal or Hot Cereal?
– Hot Cereal
- Apple Pie or Peach Pie?
– Apple Pie
- Brownies or Cookies?
- Frozen Yogurt or Ice Cream?
– Ice Cream
- Apples or Bananas?
- Cherries or Grapes?
- Blueberries or Strawberries?
- Mangos or Nectarines?
- Honey Dew Melon or Watermelon?
– Watermelon; Yummy!
- Pancakes or Waffles?
- French Toast or Pancakes?
Trainer Z: There you have it; she is Angel Sessions. Thank you, Angel, for taking the time to share with us; you are greatly appreciated. We look forward to your upcoming projects and to also ‘Spotlighting’ you again in the future. Before you go, how can people purchase and download your music?
- Angel Sessions: You can purchase my music on iTunes, Amazon, Google Play, and more on all online stores where music is sold and streaming such as Spotify, Deezer, Tidal. Also on my website, you can find my music at www.angelsessions.com
Trainer Z: How can people, businesses, and organizations contact and/or connect with you.